Tuesday 28 May 2013

Toss - Breakfast Cassarole

Well well, I'm finally sitting down to put something up.

I find breakfast/brunch the best meal of the day! If you can muster the energy and set aside time, it can be an enjoyable start to the day which seems to set the tone for the hours to follow.

Evidently a hearty meal like eggs ben, waffles or pancakes would suit me just fine. But who has the time every morning to cook up a storm like that?! I surely don't. So this quick meal suited me just fine and I enjoyed it so much I ended up having it for supper too!



Working in the hospital, I see patients eating oatmeal porridge very frequently. There are even some patients who request for oatmeal porridge every meal of the day! :/ Maybe when you're sick, oatmeal is just comforting and easy to swallow. Personally? I have to eat my oatmeal with all sorts of extras thrown in! And this recipe is just that!

I chose blueberries cos they're cheaper here in Singapore and I find them sweeter. But if you're doing this cassarole for a gathering or something, maybe brighter coloured berries such as raspberries or strawberries would look a lot nicer.

In a nut shell? This meal is baked oatmeal porridge. And really quite yummy!!

INGREDIENTS (from urban nester)

  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp double acting baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup berries
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tbsp melted butter
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large ripe banana, peeled, 1/2" slices
METHOD
  1. Mix the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, walnuts, chocolate chips, & half the berries in a large bowl
  2. In a separate bowl mix the milk, egg, butter, & vanilla extract
  3. Grease a 8x8x3" tin
  4. Pour the oat mixture and spread evenly over the base of the tin
  5. Lay out the banana slices & remaining berries on the top
  6. Slowly pour the milk mixture and gently tap the tin on the counter, ensuring all the milk goes through
  7. Bake the cassarole in a 180 degree C oven for about 30mins or until just browned & set
  8. Remove & let cool before serving
If you'd like to serve the cassarole straight out of the dish, you could cook it directly in a cassarole dish.
Yup! I threw in some dried cranberries for colour.


<3,
Amy.

No comments: