Thursday 9 May 2013

Memory - Matcha Mochi

I have an appalling memory if I don't concentrate. There are photos of items I've baked that have never made it to this page because I forgot where the recipe is. Pretty frustrating.
I really must make it a point to write down/save the recipe as I go along.

I still have some red bean paste left from a while ago so I figured I'd try my hand at making mochi since I've been craving it for a while. This mochi wasn't sweet enough for me though the red bean was pretty tasty.


Again, this recipe came from Aeri's Kitchen.

She suggested Sweet Rice Flour but I bought Glutinous rice flour. Not sure if it would have been better with just plain Rice Flour instead but I guess I'll never know unless I keep making it!

It worked anyhow and I had fun playing with the mochi, sticky & all!
You could fill it with peanut paste, green tea paste, or even black sesame paste if you so desire.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup glutinous rice flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 tbsp sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup red bean paste
  • Corn starch
METHOD
  1. In a microwavable bowl, mix flour, salt & sugar
  2. Add in the water and stir until all lumps are gone
  3. Cover lightly in cling wrap & microwave on medium for about 3 minutes
  4. The dough looks a bit translucent and gluey when done
  5. Stir the dough with a fork for a good few minutes until it is cool enough to handle
  6. Divide the red bean paste into 3/4" balls and set aside
  7. Cover a clean surface/board with corn starch and turn out the dough onto the area
  8. Coat hands with corn starch before handling the sticky dough
  9. Using a knife, cut the dough into 12 equal pieces
  10. Flatten a piece of dough into a disc and place a ball of red bean paste into the middle
  11. Wrap the paste with the dough and pinch close
  12. Cover with more corn starch if necessary and set aside in a clean container or plate
  13. Continue until all completed
  14. Sink your teeth into the soft, chewy mochi and enjoy!



Blueberry Coffee Cake I made recently. Can't find the recipe! Boohoo! )):

<3,
Amy.

No comments: