Thursday 28 February 2013

And again - Quick Puffy Treats

Sigh. I've really gotta kick the bad habit of baking and not posting. And I think I've just found my inspiration.
What has been most disappointing is the idea that this website has no viewers. That my posts inspire no one. And that truth has been busted!!! This fact made me do some crazy dance in my nightie. Hehe.
Thank you Addison! :D

I think I should put a list of pending posts so as to avoid procrastination. Need to be held accountable!

Up and coming....


  1. Pretty Bow Hair Ties
  2. Sugee Biscuits
  3. Sticky Iced Buns
  4. Thor Cake
Oh, and with Ruth & Paris' visit a couple of weeks ago (which I'll share about soon) came a wonderful cook book! Absolutely splendid present!


Anyway, let's get down to business...

Mini Croissants and Puffy Treats!

I have mentioned before just how tricky it is to make puff pastry in this humid climate but who says we can't utilise the culinary expertise of the wonderful super market?!
I decided to make these treats while craving flavoured croissants. Evidently they're hardly as good as the real stuff that you'd buy for an arm and a leg at a cafe/bakery here. If you're not fussed but just want a sweet (or a salty) treat, do try this super duper simple recipe.

INGREDIENTS
  • As many sheets of puffed pastry that you desire
  • Marmalade
  • Slivered almonds
  • Finely chopped hazelnuts
  • Finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
METHOD
Mini Marmalade Croissants
  1. Lay the puff pastry out on a lightly floured surface or silpat
  2. Cut the sheet into triangles (I cut mine into 90 degree triangles and they worked perfectly)
  3. Spread a thin layer of marmalade in the middle of the triangle leaving a 1/2" border all round
  4. Sprinkle slivered almonds at the top third of the triangle
  5. Roll the triangle up starting from the base of the triangle and ending at the tip
  6. Place uncooked croissant seam down on a lined baking tray and gently bend the roll to form...well, a cresent
  7. Repeat until desired amount of croissants are made, ensuring ample space left between croissants for rising
  8. Bake in a 160 degree C oven for about 10 mins or until golden brown
  9. Remove and leave to cool
  10. Sprinkle with icing sugar if desired
Mini Chocolate Hazelnut Puffy Treats
  1. Lay the puff pastry out on a lightly floured surface or silpat
  2. Cut puff pastry into squares of about 3-4" wide
  3. Grease a cupcake tin and lay the square over one cupcake holder
  4. Gently push the pastry into the tin ensuring the pastry is touching the base entirely
  5. Pour about a teaspoon each of chocolate and hazelnuts into the pastry
  6. Fold corners of the pastry over the contents and seal the tips together
  7. Bake in a 160 degree C oven for about 10 mins or until golden brown
  8. Remove and leave to cool
Personally, I really loved the Marmalade and Almond Croissants especially as a breakfast treat. The Chocolate Treats were good too, but much richer.

Do try out other fillings and share those baking adventures with me! :D





<3,
Amy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These were wonderful! They were so simple too! I made some for the UK mother's day. Thanks for the recipe!
Addison

Amy Ruth said...

Hi Addison!
Glad you loved the simple recipes. (:
I didn't bake anything for Mothering Sunday this year but I did bake this(http://whisk-away.blogspot.sg/2012/05/mummy-dearest-grapefruit-cake.html) last year! Was simple and absolutely wonderful! :D