Monday 24 December 2012

Christmas Post 1 - Gingerbread Cake

Hohoho. The day has finally arrived. And I wish it would slow down.

I've learnt to moderate how many projects I take on this Christmas. It's been different. Besides baking, I took on sewing. Christmas presents were crafts that I made and will share on this site in the next few weeks. Things that are so dandy and handy! (:

For today though, I've got the Gingrebread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting nailed!



I made 2 batches, one for the ward party, and another as gifts to friends and family.

I didn't try the first batch until others had already tucked into it, but my heart soared with each bite! :D Successes are sweet. Haha. Pun unintended.

So here's the slightly tweaked recipe from the Best Bakesale Cookbook.

INGREDIENTS (makes 2 large loaf cakes)

  • 2 1/4 cups plain flour
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp double acting baking powder
  • 1 1/2 sticks of butter at room temp.
  • 3/4 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk (homemade: 3/4 cup milk + 3/4 tsp white vinegar; leave to stand for 5 mins)
  • Cream Cheese Frosting
METHOD
  1. Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder in a small bowl
  2. In a large bowl beat butter, molasses, and sugar until all fluffy
  3. Add in the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition
  4. Mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by 1/2 of the buttermilk
  5. Keep alternating wet & dry ingredients until all incorporated
  6. Grease/line your baking pans
  7. This cake doesn't rise much so don't be "stingey" with the batter
  8. Bake the cakes on the middle rack of the oven at 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes or until the tops just start to crack and a skewer inserted comes out clean
  9. Remove when done and leave to cool completely before icing
 My failed attempt of a cocoa star. ):

 Meet Mr & Mrs Claus!


 A Blessed Christmas,
Amy.



No comments: