Wednesday 23 May 2012

Procrastination - Bread & Butter Pudding

Million & one apologies. I've been a mega procrastinator. :/
Guess it's the string of shifts I have looming over me that has made me really kick back on my past 2 days off. Whatever the excuse, I feel terribly guilty.
Okay, enough rambling.

Adora & Tim got me stacked bottles of cooking liquor for Christmas last year. I guess it's matured for the time it's sat on my shelf asking to be used! I finally got down to it and used the Vanilla Dream & Chocolate Cream Liquor for the below recipe. Cos the bottles are quite small I, in all silliness, used minute quantities of the liquor hoping that it will be enough. Alas it wasn't. For every 5 servings of pudding I used 2 teaspoons of liquor. If you do decide to add liquor to your raisins, or batter, or butter etc. please use more. Maybe 4-5 teaspoons.
Anyway, the recipe (thanks to Nigella Lawson) can be executed without liquor though, it's best eaten with custard or ice cream whatever the case.
Honestly? I've tasted way better pudding and I'd rather pay a few dollars to have it made for me! Sheer laziness. Guess I'll stick to making things that aren't readily available over the counter. (:

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 eggs
  • 3 tbsp caster sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup double/whipping cream
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Crusts of 1 loaf of white bread (or you can use richer breads like panettone, brioche or croissants)
  • 50g butter
  • 1 large handful of raisins
  • Liquor of your choice (optional)
METHOD
  1. Grease 10 ramkin dishes or 1 pudding dish
  2. Tear bread and fill dish(es) 3/4 full
  3. Melt butter and pour over bread
  4. Mix first 5 ingredients well
  5. Pour mixture equally over butter covered bread
  6. Coat the raisins with liquor if you've chosen to use liquor and sprinkle on top to the pudding(s)
  7. Bake at 180 degrees C for about 30 minutes or until what-was-once-a-wet-mixture is now-a-jelly-like-pudding (heh)
  8. Remove from oven and serve with custard/ice cream


Oh, and the ramkins were from Adora too! ((:

Much love,
Amy.

No comments: