Monday 30 April 2012

Dark Chocolate Chiffon Bundt Cake with Pink Frosting

Heyya!

Sorry for the delay again. Been quite hectic with work and other commitments.
Anyway, like I said, have great things to share with you!

Recently I celebrated my 23rd birthday with my twin sister, Becca. Yes, I have a twin. We're hardly alike but I feel that we've grown closer with age. (: One bonus of growing older.



She requested for a chocolate cake for our birthday but I wanted something fruity. I tried to combine both but the chocolate overpowered the fruit in this recipe. Ho-hum. I enjoyed it no less. The cake was real light and spongy but hadn't lost any richness in the chocolate one bit! Thoroughly enjoyable. (:

We celebrated with a concert at the Singapore Botanical Gardens followed by dinner at Botak Jone's Backyard.

So here're the recipes adapted from Sweetapolita.

Dark Chocolate Chiffon Bundt Cake
Yields 1 standard bundt cake
INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 2 tsp double acting baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 eggs separated and kept at room temp.
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 egg whites
METHOD
  1. Grease and coat the bundt tin with butter and cocoa powder
  2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk 1 cup of the sugar, the cocoa powder,  baking powder, salt and flour
  3. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, vanilla extract, oil and water until well combined
  4. Using an electric mixer, mix the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined
  5. In a clean bowl, whisk all the egg whites until foamy
  6. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and continue to whisk until mixture is stiff, glossy and thick
  7. Gently fold egg white mixture into chocolate mixture until all well combined
  8. Pour cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake in a pre-heated oven of 180 degrees C.
  9. Bake for about 35-40 minutes. It is done when a skewer inserted comes out clean
  10. Leave on rack to cool before removing from tin
For the frosting I used the same recipe as with my Easter Cupcakes only that I made 1/2 the quantity, omitted the vanilla bean and added about 3 tbsp of cherry jam instead. You could add pureed strawberries if you prefer. Feel free to play around with the flavour. (:






Love,
Amy.

No comments: