Wednesday 1 February 2012

GH: Toffee Bars

Here's another challenge I've taken up. Figured I needed some goals and structure in my baking if I want to improve and expand my horizons of baking.

My mother has a collection of cookbooks from way back in the day when she was a newly wed. Probably mostly wedding gifts and such. Sometimes I enjoy just flipping through them and licking my chops at the delicious recipes I chance upon. As much as I'd like to work my way through all the books, I thought I'd settle with a few choice recipes from The Good Housekeeping Cookery Book.


So like my Martha Stewart cupcake project started each post with MS, this project will start with GH.

This Toffee Bars recipe was easy-peasy. It didn't include any toffee but the oats created a chewy base that was wonderfully complimented by the chocolate nutty top.

INGREDIENTS
  • 100g softened margarine
  • 50g granulated sugar
  • 50g brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 100g self-raising flour
  • 6 tbsp rolled oats
  • 100mg plain chocolate
  • 50g chopped nuts
METHOD
  1. Grease and line a 9" shallow square tin
  2. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C
  3. Beat the marg, sugar, salt, vanilla & egg together until light and fluffy
  4. Stir in the flour and oats until well incorporated
  5. Spread mixture into tin evenly and bake for about 30mins
  6. When done, leave to cool on a wire rack
  7. In a double boiler, melt your chocolate until runny and of pouring consistency (too short a time, it'll still be lumpy; too long the mixture will begin to thicken)
  8. Spread the chocolate over the cooled cake and sprinkle with chopped nuts
  9. When chocolate has set, remove cake from tin and cut into bars of desired size
Love,
Amy.

No comments: