Friday 17 February 2012

GH: Peach Amber

Here's another recipe from Good Housekeeping. This was originally called Apricot or Apple Amber. The apricots were to be from a tin and the apples were to be stewed. However I had tinned peaches to use so I got down to blending the peaches.

It is quite like Lemon Meringue Pie except with a peach pudding center.
I feared the peachy flavour would be too strong but it turned out quite nice!
I've still got to practice my pastry making skills but other than that, the pie was great.

One thing I would change next time? Drain the peaches for a few hours or even leave them on paper/tea towels to remove most of the syrup. I ended up with a pool of syrup at the bottom of my pie once I cut it. Surprisingly it didn't affect my pastry one bit! :D

INGREDIENTS
  • 200g shortcrust pastry
  • 1 15oz can of peaches
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 25g butter, melted
  • 50g caster sugar
METHOD
  1. Roll out pastry and use it to line a 8-in pie dish; trim the edges.
  2. Bake blind in the oven at 220 degrees C for 15mins.
  3. Drain peaches and dry them either on paper/tea towels or left to strain for a good time (1-2hrs).
  4. In a blender, pulse the peaches with the egg yolks and melted butter until mixture is smooth.
  5. Pour mixture into cooked pastry case.
  6. Baked in a 180 degrees C oven for 15mins or until filling is lightly set.
  7. Whisk egg whites stiffly, whisk in half the sugar and fold in the remaining sugar.
  8. Pile meringue on top of the cooked pie; sprinkle sugar over the meringue (this helps it remain puffed up and crispy after being cooled).
  9. Return to oven for about 10mins or until lightly browned.
Love
Amy.

No comments: